Food & Nutrition Services - Public Release

The Burlington Public Schools is happy to announce its policy for determining free meals/milk and reduced price meals served under the National School Lunch Program. Free and Reduced Meal Benefits are available to qualifying families. Applications for Free and Reduced Price Meals are sent home with each student on the first day of school. Applications are also available on the school website as well as in the main office at any of the schools. You may apply for Free and Reduced Price Meals at any time during the school year. Your children may qualify for Free or Reduced Price Meals if your household income falls within the limits on the chart below. The Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines for July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2019 are as follows:

2019-2020 School Year Income Chart

If anyone in your household participates in any of the following assistance programs, your children are eligible for free school meals: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or MA SNAP, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or MA TANF, or The Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)

Households receiving any of these benefits are only required to provide the recipient's name, their Agency ID, TANF or FDPIR number, student name(s) and adult signature when submitting an application.

 For up to 30 operating days into the new school year, eligibility from the previous year will continue. When the carry-over period ends, unless the household is notified their children are directly certified* or the household submits an application that is approved, the children must pay full price for school meals.

*No application is required is required if the district directly certifies a child through the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Service's Virtual Gateway as receiving MA SNAP, MA TAFDC, Medicaid or is a foster child. This electronic match process is required by Federal Regulation. (The Virtual Gateway is an internet portal designed by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services to provide the general public, medical providers, community-based organizations and EOHHS staff with online access to health and human services).All children in these households are eligible for free meal benefits. If you receive a notice of Direct Certification for your child to receive free school meals and there are other children in your household that are not listed, you may contact Karen Damaso at 781-270-1756 to have the benefit extended to them. Households notified of their children's eligibility must contact Karen Damaso at 781-270-1756 or submit in writing if they want to decline the free meal benefits.

Students who are homeless, migrant, runaway or enrolled in an eligible Head Start or pre-kindergarten class are also eligible for benefits.

If children or households receive benefits under Assistance Programs or Other Source Categorically Eligible Programs and are not notified by the school of their free meal benefits, the parent or guardian should contact Karen Damaso 781-270-1756.

Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are categorically eligible for free meals. A foster child may be included as a member of foster family if the foster family chooses to also apply for benefits. If a foster family is not eligible for free or reduced price meal benefits, it does not prevent the foster child from receiving free meal benefits. Note however, that a foster child's free eligibility does not automatically extend to all students in the household.

Application forms for all other households must list the names of all household members, all household income with the amount, source and frequency of the income received by each household member. An adult signature is required along with the last 4 digits of the adult's Social Security Number or the box checked that applicant does not have a Social Security Number. Completed applications should be submitted to Karen Damaso, Food Service Director, Burlington Public Schools at 123 Cambridge Street, Burlington, MA 01803. Under the provisions of the policy for determining eligibility for free and reduced-price meals, the Food Service Director, Karen Damaso, will review applications and determine eligibility. If a parent is dissatisfied with the ruling of the determining official, he/she may wish to discuss the decision with the determining official on an informal basis by calling 781-270-1756. If he/she wishes to make a formal appeal, a request either orally or in writing may be made to: Dr. Eric Conti, Superintendent, Burlington Public Schools, 123 Cambridge Street, Burlington, MA 01803.

If a household member becomes unemployed or if household size changes at any time, the family can file a new application.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

 Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. 

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

 (3) Email: [email protected]

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.