Dual Enrollment

BHS offers Dual Enrollment courses with Middlesex Community College and UMass Boston. These courses are offered during the school day at BHS, but students earn credits from both BHS and the university. 

What is Dual Enrollment? 
Dual enrollment is when a high school student simultaneously earns high school and college credits for successfully completing a college level course.

Who Teaches These Courses?
The teachers teaching these courses are not only considered BHS teachers, but also serve as adjunct professors at Middlesex Community College or UMass Boston.

How do students qualify for dual enrollment?
Although students are enrolled in the course as BHS students, they still need to meet certain prerequisites in order to qualify for dual enrollment credit. The requirements different slightly for each dual enrollment course. 

Are students required to take dual enrollment courses?
No, since students who choose to take advantage of this opportunity must pay (a reduced fee) for college credit, they do NOT have to participate in dual enrollment.

Are students guaranteed to be part of the Dual Enrollment Program once they register for the class with BHS?
No, students must meet qualifying criteria first in order to be considered for dual enrollment. After meeting the qualifying criteria students are then required to complete a dual enrollment application and registration form, and pay $92 per credit ( 2018/19 amount).

What colleges or Universities accept Middlesex Community College or U Mass Boston credit?
Dual enrollment courses meet the requirements of the Mass Transfer Block, which is a portable block of general education courses. While it is up to the receiving institution to determine if the course qualifies for course credit, we are focused on offering dual enrollment courses that are commonly transferable.

For more information on the MassTransfer Block visit http://www.mass.edu/masstransfer/students/TransferBlock.asp.

How will my Dual Enrollment course be reported to any colleges that I apply to?
This course will read (on the BHS transcript, reports card, etc.) that the student is enrolled in an Honors Calculus, Honors Psychology, or AP Psychology course, etc. In order for a student’s dual enrollment course to be transferred to their chosen college or university, they must request to have official college transcripts mailed to each colleges applied to. 

Dual Enrollment Courses offered at Burlington High School:
- Honors and AP Psychology (Psych 101)            
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (Basic Anatomy)
- Honors Calculus (Calculus I for Engineering & Science)
- Honors Senior English-Pending Approval
- Introduction to Programming (Programming 1)
- A.P. Literature & Composition (Eng. Comp. 101)
- Latin V (Latin 101)

[ Course list subject to change ]