Mentor Orientation Information 2019
Burlington High School Career Exploration
INSPIRE , GUIDE , LEAD
SPRING SENIOR TECHNOLOGY PROJECT
Burlington Public High School offers seniors who are interested in computer science careers, the option of a completing a Fourth Quarter Capstone Technology Project or Certification Program. Industry mentors are an important part of the experience for students.
LOCATION - BURLINGTON HIGH SCHOOL
123 Cambridge Street
Lower Library - Students come into the school as if it were a real job.
Volunteer Mentors from technology companies meet with students once a week, either at lunch or breakfast (we provide bagels and pizza) for weekly “Office Hours” or via a virtual meeting.
April 8 - May 18 [ no meetings the week of April 15th ]
Breakfast Office Hour - Wednesdays at 8:30 - 9: 30 am
Lunch Office Hour - Fridays at 11:30 am - 12:30
- Students will share their progress and mentors
- Offer feedback
- Recommend resources
- Share their career path from high school to career
Burlington High School teachers are always available during Office Hours, and will match Mentors and students
This program was initiated by two engineers from MITRE, who wanted to share their passion for technology and inspire the next generation. They continue to lead this effort and can talk with your company or volunteers
- Go to Central Office (located in the same building as the High School but it has a seperate entrance).
- Ask for Sharon, and let her know you are working in the Internship Program.
- She will need a picture ID, mother's maiden name, last 6 digits of SSN, current and past address, height and eye color.
- I want to do this! What do I do next?
- Do I have to be an engineer to participate?
- What professional skills are you looking for?
- What do I do? Is there training?
- I want to get involved but can’t commit to every week.
- I want to help, but not at those times.
- Do a few hours really make a difference?
- I’d like to do a workshop for the students.